top of page

Mount Evans Byway & Summit Lake

Mount Evans Scenic Byway is the highest paved road in the United States - it reaches a height of more than 4,300 meters above sea level. During the trip, which is about 22 kilometers long, you get a view of the continental divide. From the moment you cross the tree line and reach an environment where the trees no longer grow due to the cold weather conditions, you meet flocks of mountain goats, bighorn sheep, and alpine vegetation that has managed to adapt to the environmental conditions.



The drive is lovely and, from the driver's point of view, a little stressful: the road is narrow, and there is no guardrail. It is not like the roads you sometimes see in the mountains in the third world, and there is no need to be afraid. Just be careful and drive slowly.

During our visit, which was held in the second half of September, it was no longer possible to drive the last 5 kilometers to the top of the mountain. Hence, the highest point we reached is the spectacular Summit Lake, where several hiking trails can be started. We made a brief trip to the shore of the lake and climbed a little on the nearby mountain to see the lake from above.



There is a beautiful view from the lake area of ​​the Chicago Lakes:



We then continued on the return trip and stopped for a short circular route of half an hour for the alpine gardens:



Just to let you know, travel on Mount Evans Scenic Road requires payment in advance through the National Parks website: www.recreation.gov. The site is closed in the winter, and you should follow it online and see if it is open. 75% of the tickets are available for registration thirty days before, and the remaining 25% are available for booking two days before the requested date. That is - let's say you want to travel on July 1st. Registration for 75% of the tickets will open a month before; even if they run out, it is guaranteed that additional tickets will be opened for booking two days early. So it would be best to plan ahead.

Comments


Purchase tickets online!
Navigate with Google Maps
Navigate with Waze
Share to Whatspp
Save to favorites
vector_42146_edited_edited.jpg
Go to map

Full
Map

Heading 6

0

Heading 6

0

Heading 6

0

packing4two discovercars 3.jpg
packing4two discovercars wide.jpg
bottom of page