Updated: Jul 20
The synagogue was built in 1829 by the Jewish community of Breslau, which was part of the Prussian Kingdom. The building has three floors: the main hall serves today as a gathering place for special events. The two other floors serve as a museum of Jewish life in Wroclaw.
While most of the Synagogues of Germany were burned and destroyed in 1938 during the horrible pogrom known as the Krystal Night, the White Stork Synagogue survived because it was close to other buildings. The rioters were afraid the fire would spread, so they just destroyed the inner parts of the synagogue. The Jewish community restored the temple and used it until 1943 when the Nazis turned the building into a warehouse for property confiscated from the Jews that deported to extermination camps. The Synagogue yard served as the deportation square for Breslau Jews.
After WWII, the city became a Polish city due to the border's change. The synagogue was in use by the new Jewish community until 1968, when most Polish Jews left the country following an anti-Semitic incitement campaign of the Polish government. After that, for more than twenty years, the building was in the use of academic institutions. Afterward, the building returned to the Jewish, which was renovated and opened to the public in 2010.
Admission is free.