Updated: Oct 2, 2022
This beautiful wooden Baroque church, listed as a World Heritage site by UNESCO, was founded in 1657. The church was built in one year, using wood and clay. It's the largest wooden basilica in Europe. The approval for building this protestant church was given according to the Peace of Westphalia, the agreement that ended the brutal Thirty Years' War between 1618 to 1648. The church was named after this peace agreement. A similar church was built in Jawor and Głogów – but the last one burned down in 1758.