Updated: Aug 22
Hermann Goering was a senior Nazi officer who led the Ministry of Avion and the brutal Nazi air force, the Luftwaffe. Goering built this vast building at the beginning of the Nazi regime. This is one of the few structures that has not been severely damaged in WWII. After the war, it was used by the Soviet military administration and later by the German Economic Commission. After German reunification, it housed the Headquarters of the Ministry of Finance.
On the northern side of the building, there is an 18-meter long mural made by German painter Max Linger in 1950, which describes the socialist ideals of East Germany. Near the painting, a plaque commemorates the protest meeting of 16 June 1953, which started the East German Uprising of 1953. In addition, a large photo of the protesters is displayed.