All Jewish communities must have at least two institutions: a cemetery and a synagogue. In 1671, when Elector Friedrich Wilhelm summoned the Jews from Vienna to sit in Berlin, he granted them this burial place. The community used this cemetery until 1827.
The most public figure buried here is Moshe Mendelson, The German Jewish philosopher. He is considered the pioneer of the Jewish enlightenment.
During the holocaust, the Nazis destroyed the cemetery. Then, they used it as mass graves for soldiers and civilians at the last stage of the war.
After the war, the cemetery was returned to the Jewish community. A memorial sculpture was placed next to the cemetery's gate.