Updated: Jul 19, 2021
The Wrocław Market Square is one of Poland's largest former market squares - 213 meters long and 178 meters wide. In the heart of the market stands the late Gothic Town Hall with a 66-meter tower, which nowadays serves as a museum. In the basement of the Town Hall works Świdnicka Cellar - one of the oldest pubs in Europe, running steadily from the 15th century. The square is surrounded by 60 tenement houses founded by Wrocław patricians.
The square hosts three famous landmarks: A reconstructed pillory where convicted people were punished. The pillory was initially built in 1492 and reconstructed in 1985; The fountain was established in honor of the former city mayor Bogdan Zdrojewski; and a monument of Alexander hr. Fredro that previously stood in Lviv. The Rynek is the place for Christmas markets, New Year's parties, religious, academic, and military celebrations.