The Skulls Chapel of Milano
Updated: Oct 2, 2022
The San Bernardino alle Ossa catholic church is mainly known for its ossuary – a side chapel covered with human bones and skulls.
At the beginning of the 13th century, the local cemetery ran out of space, so they built an ossuary to store the bones. The church was built later next to the ossuary. After the fire of 1712, the church was rebuilt and dedicated to Saint Bernardino of Siena. The chapels display paintings from the 16th-18th centuries.
At the end of the 17th century, the ossuary's doors and walls were decorated with bones and skulls.
It's an exciting and horrifying sight.