According to the New Testament, on this site, Jesus was able to feed thousands of people through a few loaves of bread and several fish. To commemorate the miracle, a Byzantine church was built on the site as early as 350 AD. It was expanded in the fifth century. Unfortunately, the church was destroyed in the seventh century, and its remains were re-exposed in 1932.
In 1982 the present church was built on the ruins of the ancient churches. At the bottom of the walls, the basalt stones belong to the old church, while the new addition is in light Jerusalem stone.
The colored mosaics are from the fifth century. The black and white mosaics are new.
The altar of the church was erected over the stone marking the place where Jesus performed the miracle.
In 2015, the church was set on fire by extremist Jewish teenagers, and it was severely damaged. It was then renovated and reopened to visitors.
🛒 There is a tourist souvenir shop on-site - very expansive.
🅿 20 NIS Private car parking - cash only!
For more trips in the area press here