At the beginning of the twentieth century, several monks settled on the northern shore of the Sea of Galilee, east of the historic Capernaum - the city whose synagogue Jesus began to preach. In 1931, a small Greek Orthodox church was built on the site. Following the 1948 war, the place became a demilitarized zone between Israel and Syria, and the church was abandoned.
After the Six-Day War in 1967 and the expansions of Israel borders, the church was restored. Towards the year 2000, it was renovated by painters-artists from Greece.
With its pink-red domes, stained glass windows, icons, and frescos covering the entire interior, the church is imposing and definitely recommended for a visit.
Around the church, there is a lovely courtyard from which you can overlook the Sea of Galilee - but not swim.
Apart from the monks, the place is also home to a fancy peacock.
The church is open daily from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
For more trips in the area press here